The Impact of Credit Ratings on the Costs of Development Finance in Africa
14 April 2023
10.00 a.m. – 11.30 a.m. EDT
The role of credit rating agencies is critical in determining sovereign creditworthiness and, consequently, the cost of debt for both sovereign and corporate borrowers. Questions have been raised about the determination of these ratings in Africa, where there is a dearth of relevant data and where ratings agencies may not have a presence in the countries. This dynamic could have dire implications for much-needed development finance across the continent.
Against this background, the Brookings Africa Growth Initiative (AGI), Africatalyst and UNDP’s Africa Bureau will host on April 14 a high-level panel of African finance ministers and central bank governors for a conversation on “The Impact of Credit Ratings on the costs of Development Finance in Africa”. The event, which will take place on the margins of the 2023 World Bank/IMF Annual Spring Meetings in Washington DC, will feature findings from a new UNDP report, that analyzes credit ratings methodologies in Africa, discusses financial and development ramifications, and proposes alternative approaches for countries where relevant data is scarce.
The event will seek to:
- Raise awareness about the significant development costs that subjective credit ratings have, especially in Africa.
- Discuss various policy options and identify concrete steps forward.
- Create a new stand-by facility (comprising a Concilium of high-level advisors and a bespoke database of key macroeconomic indicators) ready to help African countries in the credit process.
Aloysius Uche Ordu, Director – Africa Growth Initiative, Senior Fellow – Global Economy and Development
The Ministerial Roundtable will feature:
- Oulimata Sarr, Minister of Economy, Planning and Cooperation of – Republic of SenegalNjuguna
- Ndung’u, Cabinet Secretary, National Treasury & Economic Planning – Republic of Kenya
- Ken Ofori-Atta, Minister of Finance and Economic Planning – Republic of Ghana
Maggie Mutesi, Managing Editor, Mansa Media
- Daniel Cash, Founder, Credit Rating Research Initiative
Ahunna Eziakonwa, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General, Africa Director – United Nations Development Programme
Viewers can submit questions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BrookingsGlobal by using #AfricaRecovery.
This event will be held at the Brookings Institute premises in Washington, DC – for more information, please send an email to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com